IntraCal® contains Calcium Orotate, a calcium supplement with a functional amino acid chelating ligand - orotic acid. Orotic acid assists the transport of calcium through cellular membrane structures, facilitating the intracellular uptake of calcium, particularly in bone. Calcium Orotate also helps in the maintenance of healthy cartilage. Furthermore, Orotate is involved in the synthesis of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) and RNA (ribonucleic acid). Calcium Orotate has the ability to penetrate complex cell membranes and it can be metabolized in cartilage.
IntraCal® is used -
1. To prevent or treat low blood calcium levels in people who do not
get enough calcium from diets.
2. To fulfill the calcium deficiency or meet extra need of calcium in
• Latent tetany
• Postmenopausal osteoporosis
• Senile osteoporosis
• Juvenile osteoporosis
• Drug induced osteoporosis
(Phenytoin, Phenobarbital, or Prednisone)
• Pregnancy and lactation
• Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
• Hip joint plastic surgery
3. Acts against a number of inflammatory diseases like -
• Multiple sclerosis
4. Helps in controlling weight by suppressing the habit of frequent
appetite of chronic overeaters.
5. It is also beneficial in reducing the effects of mood swings.
6. Proved to be quite effective in cognitive enhancement.
7. Protects the heart by enhancing the efficiency of cardiac muscles.
Dosage & Administration
As an addition to the daily diet, 2-3 tablets are usually recommended with meal or as directed by health care professional.
Bloating and swelling in the abdomen are common side effects of Calcium Orotate. Constipation, nausea, vomiting, headache, increased thirst/urination, may occur infrequently.
Precaution is needed if the patient is allergic to calcium orotate. Before using this product in kidney disease, kidney stones, little or no stomach acid (achlorhydria), disease of the pancreas, a certain lung disease (sarcoidosis), difficulty absorbing nutrition from food (malabsorption syndrome) precaution is needed.
Use in Pregnancy & Lactation
Women who are pregnant and breast-feeding need more calcium. Pregnancy related high blood pressure is a common and serious risk for women and their babies, and taking supplemental forms of calcium orotate can help reduce this risk.
Calcium can decrease absorption of the following drugs when taken together- biphosphonates (e.g. alendronates), quinolone antibiotics (e.g. ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin) and tetracycline antibiotics (e.g. doxycycline, minocycline), levothyroxine, phenytoin (anticonvulsant), and tiludronate disodium (to treat Paget\\\'s disease). Thiazide-type diuretics can interact with calcium supplements, increasing the risks of hypercalcemia and hypercalciuria.
Store in a cool, dry place.