1. What Kovicin® is and what it is used for
Kovicin® is the preparation of Hydroxychloroquine sulfate that works by reducing inflammation in people with autoimmune diseases (this is where the body’s immune system attacks itself by mistake).
It can be used for:
- Rheumatoid arthritis (inflammation of the joints)
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis (in children)
- Discoid and systemic lupus erythematosus (a disease of the skin or the internal organs)
- Skin problems which are sensitive to sunlight
- Emergency use for COVID 19 patients in hospital settings
2. Do not take hydroxychloroquine sulfate if:
- You are allergic (hypersensitive) to:Hydroxychloroquine
- Other similar medicines such as quinolones and quinine
- Any of the other ingredients of hydroxychloroquine sulfate
- Signs of allergic reaction include: a rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue.
- You have an eye problem which affects the retina, the inside of the eye (maculopathy) or you get a change in eye colour or any other eye problem.
- Cardiac arrhythmia
Do not take this medicine if any of the above apply to you. If you are not sure, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking hydroxychloroquine sulfate.
3. How to take hydroxychloroquine sulfate
- Always take hydroxychloroquine sulfate exactly as your doctor has told you. You should discuss with your doctor if you are not sure.
4. Possible side effects
Like all medicines, hydroxychloroquine sulfate can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Common side effects include; Corneal changes eg, oedema & opacities, haloes, blurred vision, photophobia; skin rashes, pigmentary skin & mucous membrane changes, hair bleaching, alopecia; nausea, diarrhoea, anorexia, abdominal pain; skeletal muscle myopathy or neuromyopathy; anaemia, aplastic anaemia, agranulocytosis, decreased WBC, thrombocytopenia; urticaria, angioedema, bronchospasm.
- Cardiac arrhythmia, Hypersensitivity to hydroxychloroquine or 4-aminoquinoline compound, Pre-existing eye maculopathy and Pregnancy.
- Sensitivity to quinine. Discontinue use if pigmentary abnormality, visual field defect, unexplainable abnormalities by difficulty in accommodation or presence of corneal opacities, visual disturbances including abnormal colour vision develops; anaemia, aplastic anaemia, agranulocytosis, decreased WBC & thrombocytopenia occur.
Pregnancy and breast-feedingUse of this medicine is not recommended during pregnancy. If you discover that you are pregnant or are planning to have a baby, consult your doctor right away to re-assess the need for treatment.Do not take hydroxychloroquine sulfate if you are breast-feeding or planning to breast-feed. This is because small amounts may pass into mother’s milk. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine if you are pregnant or breast-feeding Kovicin® Prescribing Information